Frontier Scouts

As part of my research into the 3rd Afghan War and the Waziristan campaign, I tracked down this book via Amazon. First impressions are good, it covers the various scout forces formed from local tribes in the first half of the C20th and it includes a number of photographs of scout units. They are surprisingly uniform in appearance and so I have ordered some Copplestone Muslim infantry to put together a couple of companies to support by Back of Beyond British. I'm still debating the figures to use for the afghan army. The tribal irregulars I can do from a variety of Foundry packs (Hill tribesmen, Baluchis etc) but the afghan regulars were a mixed bag, many in native dress but with centrally issued equipment (webbing, etc) and small fur hats; and there isn't anything that looks spot on for these. I'll get away with some regular units being better uniformed - probably using Ottoman figures as proxies (GB make Ottomans in fezzes, that I may be able to convert to fur hats with some greenstuff and a pin.

Comments

  1. Interesting stuff Steve and obviously contemporary given recent ongoing events. Looking forward to seeing your final choice of figures, mate.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment